[CentOS] Version download problem?

Fri Dec 30 06:33:26 UTC 2005
Young, Darren <Darren.Young at ChicagoGSB.edu>

> The oldest kernel that we released with CentOS-3 was 2.4.21-9.0.1.  That
> was at 3.1 which was the oldest official release.

I found an EL rpm for 2.4.21-4.0.1 on RHN, seems to be one of the first 3.x kernels, maybe even *the* first.

> I can build you a 2.4.21-4.0.1 kernel ... and maybe even a 2.4.21-4.0.1
> install CD if you absolutely need that (I don't have a CentOS-3 build
> environment for spinning CD though, I do CentOS-4) ... IF all (or most)
> of the rest of the 3.1 level stuff would work.

Many thanks for the offer, I can build a new one if necessary but I'm really trying to avoid it. I'm installing 3.6 into VMware right now to find out how picky the various IBM installers truly are. I do know some of them are 'pickier' than others.

> BUT ... if you need all stuff before EL3 update 1, that would be fairly
> hard.  (In fact it would be building a whole new point release :)

Yea, I'll just use "the other" EL if it comes down to that. I think WS will work for what I'm doing, it's just a reference build/environment and not production. It will be interesting to see if CentOS can in fact be used for Tivoli Storage Manager, not so much on the OS side, but if IBM's products actually detect the fact that it's not the "real thing".

One thing I did find with their Integrated Solutions Console (ISC) was that it seems to read /etc/redhat-release to determine something... Wasn't paying attention to the system calls all that closely, but I did see open(), fseek() and close() on it.