[CentOS] RPMS's rebuilt or upstream one's used

Sat Dec 31 05:15:28 UTC 2005
Aleksandar Milivojevic <alex at milivojevic.org>

Quoting Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>:

> If you're only building half a dozen to a couple of dozen RPMs, this
> structure
> works just fine.  I released PostgreSQL RPMs for five years doing it that
> way.  At the same time, I built several other RPMsets, both for release and
> for personal use, small and large packages alike (including kernels for
> non-Intel archs from source RPM)....
>
> If you're building a distribution, you need something much more
> sophisticated,
> for sure.  But for a handful, this is the easy way to do it.

I've burned myself once with that directory structure.  Two different SRPMs
having a helper file with same name.  Took me a bit of time to figure out what
happened.  Spent rest of the afternoon googling around how to make voodoo doll
(if however came up with that directory structure felt some sudden pain couple
of months ago, it was me ;-)

If all you need is to build a package or two from time to time, I guess
it will
serve you more or less fine (until you shoot yourself into a foot).  You are
not going to see the mess.  I guess doing "rm *" in SOURCES and SPECS
directory
from time to time will be normal routine.  Hack, Jim says there's even
a package
in Fedora extras that has some obscure command that basically simply does "rm
*".  I like to have things a bit more organized even on systems where I
build a
package or two once a month.

But, it's all personal preference, after all.  I guess.  So, whatever
works for
you.  Oh, and I mastered the art of making voodoo dolls ;-)