[Centos] how to autoload modules on boot

John Newbigin jn at it.swin.edu.au
Tue Feb 1 23:11:43 UTC 2005

Edward J. Weinberg wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 19:19 +0200, Alexander Georgiev wrote:
>
>>Thank you!
>>
>>sheesh! it is complicated!
>>

> Not really.  You are telling the kernel from the command line which
> device is the cd-rom.  If the cd writer was there when you did the
> install it should have been set up that way for you.
AFAIK, it is the redhat initscripts which process this, not the kernel.
  Not really complex because everything else (kernel, device nodes)
should be set up already (standard parts of rhel).  If you have a
cd-burner, the ide-scsi will also be set up by default (anaconda?)

/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit:
# If they asked for ide-scsi, load it
if strstr "$cmdline" ide-scsi ; then
         modprobe ide-cd >/dev/null 2>&1
         modprobe ide-scsi >/dev/null 2>&1
fi

If you add a cd-burner after the install, kudzu should detect it but I
don't know if that can modify the boot config.

If you did not want to use the redhat way, modules.conf is not the
place, that is for autoloaded modules.  The best place would be
/etc/rc.d/rc.local

John.