[Centos] IBM x226 lockups, convert CentOS to RHEL 3.0

Troy Engel tengel at fluid.com
Wed Feb 2 02:07:01 UTC 2005

Barry L. Kline wrote:

> Failing that I'll try dropping back kernels and see what happens.

Another possible test, although it's the worst case scenario - compile
your own kernel only using the patches from the SRPM you really need.
Sometimes RedHat kernels actually break the real kernel in obscure ways.

Historical anecdote: back in RH73, the Intel L440GX+ motherboard (server
mobo) was everywhere. The initial 7.3 kernels worked fine, then along
the way they broke - no L440GX+ motherboard would work anymore. At that
point I had to run hand-compiled kernels on all the servers (same core
version as RPM patched ones) and it worked perfectly fine.

Eventually newer kernels came out that at least worked with 'noapic' on
the boot line (still have a few running, knock on wood), but unpatched
kernels worked just fine without this as before. There's a mile-long bug
buried somewhere on the redhat.com bugzilla.

So, there is some history of RedHat patches breaking a perfectly good
kernel - you may possibly be in this situation, but it's a real bugger
to figure out.

-te

--
Troy Engel | Systems Engineer