[Centos] Re: centos] [centos 3.4] e1000 and installation problem

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Tue Feb 8 18:26:56 UTC 2005

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005, Martin Hamant wrote:

> I install Centos'es from PXE, with vmlinuz and initrd provided by
> images/pxeboot from the first CD of centos 3.4.
>
> The server is a PowerEdge 1850 with two integrated e1000 nic interfaces.
>
> So kernel is booting, then it comes to the screen which ask for one nic
> to do a dhcp query. I choose eth0, dhcp server reply well and then i get
> an ip address, dns'es, etc. And nothing else happen because the nic link
> is going down at this point !!! (no light, no way. )

There have been changes over time of the MII link management
code used by Anaconda.  I encounter these issues with 3-com
nic's and Intel switches, but have also encountered them with
T-Lan nic's as well.

Simplify the network topology - go to a straight crossover to
your dhcp/next server if possible - alternatively, consider
trying a single switch between the unit under test and the
dhcp/next server -- then vary the switch brand, to test each.
If possible, run TCPDUMP on the server side, and see whenre
the connection is failing.

-- Russ Herrold