[Centos] view remote desktop

Ryan Lane ryan at rel.dyndns.org
Mon Feb 14 13:19:22 UTC 2005

>> I know with vnc you can access virtual desktops, but
>> is there a way to
>> view the current desktop on a kde session?  I tried
>> changing the
>> .vnc/xstartup and added the startkde & at the end to
>> get the gui
>> working, but can only get virtual desktops to show.
>> or if there is a
>> different software to use that someone else might
>> know about.

Umm...this isn't exactly what you are asking for, but it could be more of
what you are looking for:

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-1606.html
(it's a fedora guide, but it works w/  CentOS, RHEL, etc.)

Basically it's a guide on how to setup vnc to talk to gdm.  It's very
cool.  It allows you to connect to your machine via vnc, and have a
regular gdm login screen.  I find it very useful, because many of my
end-users want a stinkin gui.  =]  And this way I can just run vnc from
xinetd for all the users, instead of have a separate Xvnc process for each
user.

-Ryan