[Centos] md0/fstab

Christian Nygaard chris at math.uu.se
Tue Feb 15 15:35:10 UTC 2005

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, Michael Best wrote:

> Christian Nygaard wrote:
> > Can some wise person enlighten me why cant you use disklabels with Linux
> > software raid in fstab?
> >
> > Works
> > /dev/md0	/home 	ext3	defaults 0 2
> >
> > This doesnt work for md0 software raid. I got into single usermode recovery
> > upon reboot mode with this line, doing a raidstart -all and manual
> > mount+init 3 works. LABEL=/home 	/home 	ext3 	defaults 0 2
> >
> > //Chris
>
> How did you create the raid array?

It was created after installation

# vi /etc/raidtab
# fdisk /dev/sdc2
# fdisk /dev/sdd2
# mkraid -R /dev/md0
# mkfs -j /dev/md0
# e2label /home /dev/md0

> I don't think your problem is labels, I think it is that your array isn't
> started when mounting occurs.

I think you are right, question is like why it works with /dev/md0
and not with the disklabel which well works when I have already booted
the system. If I reboot the disklabel fails.

> It could be that your raid modules aren't in your initrd, it could be that
> your raidtab or mdadm configs aren't correct or how you created the array
> makes it hard for the OS to find it at boot time.

I did do a mkinitrd :) this just puzzles me. I might try to do a raidsetup
with Anaconda and see if that works with disklabels or not. Thanks for
your suggestions!

//Christian