[Centos] remove just one perl package

Bart Schaefer schaefer+centos at zanshin.com
Tue Feb 15 16:09:37 UTC 2005

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, Melinda Odom wrote:

> How can I just remove this one package, perl-5.8.5-9rhel3.art, so the
> other conflict errors will go away and not break the whole system?

That's [a replacment for] the base perl package, unless I'm mistaken.
Removing that will remove your perl executables and core perl library,
which will then have to be re-installed.

As things currently stand, you should NOT install perl-CGI-2.81-89.10,
because that's the version for the perl-5.8.0 baseline, not perl-5.8.5,
and it would appear that the files it contains are already folded into
the perl-5.8.5 package you installed.  "Upgrading" perl-CGI-2.81-89.10
would actually be a going backwards.

What you really should do is

	rpm --justdb -e perl-CGI

because perl-CGI-2.81-89.10 is no longer necessary in your corrent config.

Your other option is go ahead and allow yum to remove every perl package
on your system, and then re-install it again, which will back you off to
perl-5.8.0, but that may break something that depends on the newer perl.