[Centos] Squirrelmail

Brendan Pirie bpirie at rma.edu
Fri Feb 18 13:49:08 UTC 2005

William Hooper wrote:
> Zebee Johnstone said:
> [snip]
>
>>I know nothing at all about php, so am having a hell of a time diagnosing
>> the errors, and the squirrelmail.org site knows of no RH distro after 7.3
>
> [snip]
>
> Oh?  The download page lists squirrelmail-i18n-1.4.4-1.noarch.rpm
> as"...for Red Hat Linux 8, 9, Fedora Core 1, 2, 3, and EL 3, 4
> (apache-2.0)".  Trust me, it works.
>

>>So... is anyone running squirrelmail on their CentOS site, and
>>can they tell me why I'm seeing: Warning: main(../config/config.php):
>>failed to open stream: Permission denied in
>>/usr/share/squirrelmail/functions/global.php on line 16
>

> I'd say check your permissions on config.php and verify it is in the path
> that Squirrelmail thinks it is.
>

>>Perhaps someone can email me with RH specific instructions?
>

> There's really not that much too it (you've done everything).  Another
> issue might be your custom PHP/Apache config (which you didn't elaborate
> on).

I have squirrelmail running on rhel ES 3 (soon to be centos), and it was
no trouble to setup.  (I also know virtually nothing about php, fwiw)  I
haven't checked the centos packages, but rhel includes a squirrelmail
package, which I'm using.  I didn't have to add any config files for
apache, but I do vaguely recall something about changing the
register_globals option in /etc/php.ini.  I also recall finding
everything I needed between the squirrelmail site and the included docs.