[Centos] External yum and apt Repositories and CentOS4

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sun Feb 20 16:57:35 UTC 2005

>Based on your email and the ones that follow, completely rethunk(!) this
>one. Its on freeze.
>
>Is it at all possible to scan through contributed repositories for such
>violations ?

Not trivially, no. But if a repository doesn't explicitly state that
they do not provide files which violate the dmca or any patents in
place, then you're running the risk.

We've had to go through this with Fedora Extras quite a bit b/c lots of
folks want things like the nvidia and ati binary-only drivers or mp3
playing or dvd decrypting and we just can't do it.

-sv