AW: [Centos] 3Ware 9xxx 9500S-4LP SATA Raid with CentOS3.3?

Willy Wu torwill at nn3.net
Tue Feb 22 18:44:27 UTC 2005

I recently installed a system with the following spec's:

a. Tyan S5112
b. 3Ware 9500S-8 + 3 SATA driver (Raid 5) (+ 1 SATA driver, for boot only)

I have tried CentOS 3.4, CentOS 4 RC1, RHEL 3.2, RHEL 3.4 and RHEL 4, and
almost 2 weeks time

(1) With CentOS 4 RC1 and RHEL 4 -- neitehr worked. I can't even get to the
installation phase, hang at installation CD boot. They do have 3w-9xxx
included, but neither worked for me.

(2) RHEL 3.2, installed with driver obtained from 3Ware website, this one
doesn't work too, my system still can not pick up the RAID card

(3) I ended up adding a new drive (160GB SATA) only for boot, installed
CentOS 3.4, and compile the driver from source, then mount the RAID 5 (3
200GB SATA).

I know this defeats the idea of having RAID5, but that's the only solution I
can find at the moment.

I was trying to build my own driver disk with driver compiled on my machine.
But can not find any information on 3ware website. Anyone knows how?

Thank you.