[Centos] Gateway M520 and Linux

Ryan Lane ryanlane at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 20:50:39 UTC 2005

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:00:01 -0800, Evan Bursey <ehbursey at lbl.gov> wrote:
> My laptop (HP ZD7000 series) has a problem with kernel audio.  On my
> machine, I believe there is a conflict between the network hardware and
> the sound card which results in a locked-up computer.  After some
> troubleshooting, I found that deleting the kernel sound modules causes
> the problem to away.  Of course, so does the sound....  So, I payed a
> few dollars and installed the sound driver from OpenSound
> (http://www.opensound.com/).  That fixed the lockups and I now have
> sound.  The one hassle with this fix is that I have to remember to
> delete the kernel sound modules everytime I upgrade the kernel.  Failure
> to do so results in a locked up computer.

Also, try adding snd-intel8x0m to /etc/hotplug/blacklist (and reboot).
 I had similar problems with my Gateway M5XX (forget the exact model)
laptop.  And I couldn't use the smp kernel (for hyperthreading),
because it would lockup when I would try to use ndiswrapper for
wireless.

Also, by default all sound was muted except for external.  I had to
use alsamixer to unmute everything.

-Ryan