[Centos] IBM x226 lockups, convert CentOS to RHEL 3.0

Tue Feb 1 22:14:13 UTC 2005
Barry L. Kline <blkline at attglobal.net>

Syv Ritch wrote:

> I had a very similar problem at a customer of mine. It took a few
> month to figure the problem.
>
> The system was running backups of the proc directory and that would
> crash the system on random basis because it would create the wrong
> drive size. After that no crash, ever.

Hi Syv.  Thanks for the reply.

When you say that the system was running backups of the proc directory,
do you mean a userland application was doing it (e.g.  that the user
requested) or was it something that the system does automatically?

The reason I ask is that the only backups being done with that system is
  the one done across the network via rsnapshot.  This wasn't happening
when the error occurred and it doesn't touch the /proc directory when it
does.

Barry