[Centos] bug: comps has wrong version number

Thu Feb 3 13:32:00 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 13:39 +0100, Farkas Levente wrote:
> Farkas Levente wrote:
> > hi,
> > comps in rh9 is comps-9-0.20030313 while in the latest centos-3.4 it's
> > comps-3.4centos.0-0.20050105 so the rh9 has higher version number which
> > means this packages not upgraded during an upgrade to any version of
> > centos. and yum also not upgrade this package. imho it's a bug.
> > is there any way to find out what other packages is remain from some
> > older rh version?
> > yours.
>
> ok. that's not the only package, there are dozens, just run:
> rpm -qa --queryformat
> "%-45{VENDOR}\t%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}-SERIAL:%{SERIAL}\n"|egrep
> "Red Hat"
> just to mention a few:
> cpio, mktemp, tmpwatch, etc.
> it'd be useful to review all the rh9 packages and compare there version
> number to the latest centos version. eg:
> tcpdump-3.7.2-7.E3.2 (centos) is less then tcpdump-3.7.2-7.9.1 (rh9).
> this is not a serious problem since they are probably the same, but
> wouyld be useful to be consistent.
> yours.

This is an upstream issue ... and one of the reasons why RH doesn't
officially support an upgrade from RH9 to RHEL3 ... since we rebuild the
Source SRPMS, we inherit that problem.

We can't change the packages in question since they will then not track
upstream after that.

If you have continued doing fedoralegacy updates after RH stopped
supporting RH9, it will compound the problem.

The mailing list has many people who have upgraded to help in the
process though :)