[Centos] Bind Issues

Mon Feb 7 16:49:37 UTC 2005
Foster, Mark <Foster.M at portseattle.org>

Hi John. Normally in the redhat setup the named process runs as the
named user. This can be seen by running `ps -aux | egrep '[n]amed'`
named     1661  0.0  0.2 40108 4836 ?        S    Jan31   0:25
/usr/sbin/named -u named -t /jail/named

As you can see from the first column the user is named. Also the -u flag
indicates the same.
So if any of your slave zone files are owned by root they won't be
writable by named. I recommend you chown those zone files to be owned by
named user.

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces at caosity.org [mailto:centos-bounces at caosity.org] On
Behalf Of John Hinton
Sent: Monday, February 07, 2005 8:43 AM
To: CentOS at caosity.org
Subject: [Centos] Bind Issues

I'm running bind in a chroot environment. It seems that since the Redhat
snafu which wrecked bind (yes, I had caching nameserver running as well
but not anymore) I have been having problem with my slave nameservers
retrieving updates from the master.

Looking at the zone records, some are owned by root, some are owned by
named. I'm now confused as to what the ownership should be and what
permissions should be assigned. Could someone shed some light on this?

Thanks,
John Hinton