[Centos] Channel Bonding

Mon Feb 7 22:55:36 UTC 2005
John Newbigin <jn at it.swin.edu.au>

support at dynacomp.net wrote:

> I'm not sure if it would accomplish what I need. Basically I was thinking of
> using bonding on interfaces 1-3 (Wan) Connection to add redundancy  usage of
> all wan links to our (router/gateway/firewall) for internal LAN.
The linux bonding driver can be configured for load balancing &
redundancy.  Ie: normally 3 links used to TX but if one goes down, it
will use the other 2.

Your problem might be on the switch end.  AFAIK, Cisco offers a few
different hashing methods (based on MAC or IP) but not load balancing.
Their theory is that you want to keep one TCP session on one link to
prevent out of order packets.

Still, we use 3 * fast ethernet to a cisco 6509 without any problems and
we do get 3 * the throughput.

John.