[Centos] Red Hat Legal Targets www.centos.org website content

Sun Feb 13 08:33:24 UTC 2005
Forrest Samuels <forrest at liquidcs.com>

I like the new meta description tag:

"CentOS -- Community ENTerprise Operating System is a free rebuild of source
packages freely available from  a Prominent North American Enterprise Linux
vendor."

I understand where Red Hat is coming from here but also find it very
frustrating that the CentOS team can not call it what it is, a Red Hat
Enterprise Linux compatible rebuild. From what I read on the trademark
guidelines page, they can't say Red Hat or RHEL anywhere for any reason.
Does this also mean you can't link to the location where you get the source
to build CentOS? Can you still link to Red Hat's Errata pages?

-Forrest

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces at caosity.org [mailto:centos-bounces at caosity.org] On
Behalf Of donavan nelson
Sent: Saturday, February 12, 2005 1:04 AM
To: centos at caosity.org; CentOS-devel
Subject: [Centos] Red Hat Legal Targets www.centos.org website content

To squelch the questions (related to the changing content on
www.centos.org), I decided this needs to be published.

The CentOS Team has been contacted by representatives of Red Hat's hired
legal team regarding the use of Red Hat Trademarks on www.centos.org.
(Full Email follows.)  While the CentOS team feels we are using Red
Hat's marks in a fair and legal manner, we have no choice but to
eliminate the majority of the Red Hat marks that are being used on
www.centos.org.

So over the next few days, we will be cleansing the CentOS website of
Red Hat marks and/or possible marks.  If you encounter any errors please
take a moment to point then out via a comment here or catch donavan in
#centos-web on irc.freenode.net.

At this point and going forward the CentOS project is not in any
jeopardy.  We have a strong group of committed developers and are
growing like crazy.  CentOS 4 is just around the corner; the future is
brighter than ever.

Read the rest here:
http://www.centos.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=66