[Centos] Red Hat Legal Targets www.centos.org website content

Mon Feb 14 17:14:10 UTC 2005
David Thompson <thomas at cs.wisc.edu>

lee at leegarner.com wrote:

>I think that's a bit short-sighted.  Exactly where would CentOS and the
>other clones be without Red Hat's continued operations.

If Red Hat ceased to exist, another group would step up and meet the needs of
the folks that Red Hat abandoned.  Red Hat is as dependent on Fedora users and
groups like Centos as anyone is on them.

The community doesn't owe Red Hat anything.  They are only doing what they are
required to do by the GPL.  The wisdom of the GPL has become crystal clear in
my mind over the past few days.  If the linux kernel and the multitude of
other software on which Red Hat depends (and obtains without cost) were
licensed under a BSD-style license, we could be in a very different (and much
worse) situation today.

Dave Thompson
The University of Wisconsin - Madison