[Centos] Red Hat Legal Targets www.centos.org website content

Mon Feb 14 22:22:37 UTC 2005
Dag Wieers <dag at wieers.com>

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, Syv Ritch wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 11:14:10 -0600, David Thompson wrote:
>
> > The community doesn't owe Red Hat anything.  They are only
> > doing what they are required to do by the GPL.
>
> Actually, not! SuSE operates under the same GPL. Their source is
> available, but you do not have the right to modify it or redistribute
> it. That's the difference between RH and SuSE.

Actually, I think the GPL mentions that not only the sources should be
available, but in case of distributing executables, also the information
to be able to produce the same results. (In this case the SPEC files)

I think RMS foresaw how people could abuse the system. But I don't know
how Novell/SuSE is complying to this.