[Centos] ProFTP -> vsFTP Configuration Options

Wed Feb 16 05:58:50 UTC 2005
Ken Bass <kbass at kenbass.com>

Forrest Samuels wrote:

> I am moving from a server from running Red Hat 7.2 (with ProFTP) to
> Centos 3 (with vsFTP). There is a setting in ProFTP that lets me set
> the default ftp login directory for a specific user and I would like
> to do the same with vsFTP. The reason being is I have a ‘webadmin’
> user that I use for uploading web content. I am thinking I could make
> the home directory of the webadmin /var/www in the /etc/passwd file
> but I would rather it just be for FTP and leave the login home as
> /home/webadmin. In ProFTP this was set in /etc/proftpd.conf like so:
>
> DefaultRoot / webadmin
>
> DefaultChdir /var/www webadmin
>
> Does anyone know how I can do that? I would like the settings for the
> other users to work as they are now. I have been looking at
> chroot_list_enable, and chroot_list_file files but I don’t think that
> is quite what I am looking for (They are both commented out by
> default). I may be wrong.

I haven't used vsftp but the man page shows a 'user_config_dir' option
which allows per-user configuration. It sounds like you could use
user_config_dir and then provide a /etc/vsftpd_user_conf/webadmin
directory with a config file in there solely for webadmin. In webadmins
config file you could set the 'local_root' which is a directory that
vsftpd will change into after webadmin logs in. I assume the lack of a
user config for all other users will just use the global defaults.