[Centos] NNTP versus web forums

Jim Zajkowski

jim at jimz.net
Sat Jan 8 20:53:37 UTC 2005

I see that a number of questions are being answered on the new web
forum that is now part of the centos site.  And the mailing lists  So
now there are two places to search, both the forum and the mailing list
archives.

This is just doubles the work required to follow along or find a
solution.

I know NNTP isn't sexy, it doesn't allow graphics in posts, it doesn't
have person ratings or cute smileys, and it requires a modicum of
competence to use, but it DOES do all of these:

   . Allows off-line reading and replying, with an appropriate reader.
   . Searching.
   . Reliable way of showing you which threads have new posts.
	-> I have not yet found a single web forum that did this well.
   . Orders of magnitude faster.
   . Easy to archive.
   . Small footprint, on-disk and over-network.
   . Synchronisation to multiple servers, reduced network use.
   . Bidirectional synchronisation to a mailing list.
   . Supports authenticated posting, moderation, etc.

--Jim

--
Jim Zajkowski          OpenPGP 0x21135C3    http://www.jimz.net/pgp.asc
System Administrator  8A9E 1DDF 944D 83C3 AEAB  8F74 8697 A823 2113 5C53