[Centos] NNTP versus web forums

Henk van Lingen henkvl at cs.uu.nl
Mon Jan 10 10:03:36 UTC 2005

On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 12:56:49PM -0500, Matt Shields wrote:

  > I just think that all information should be easily available in 1
  > place (centos.org) through a common interface.  And when you look at
  > Xoops (or other content engines), it has forums, news management, and
  > documentation built in.

  As someone who was also bothered by this webfora disease recently, i think
  this is an interesting thread. I also never understood what's so great
  about webfora. I still like 'nn' where I can use vim to edit my messages
  and where read posts are not shown again.
  So integrating NNTP and a webforum seems promising and I took a look
  at http://www.xoops.org/ Lots of informations. (it seems one of these
  CMS things, and ofcourse using that toy database instead of PostgreSQL)

  Maybe I didn't look long enough but I can't find accurate information
  about the NNTP thing. Is there indeed a way to do both? And does that
  mean posts to either NNTP or the web are showing up in the other?

  And how does this 'newbb' compare to phpbb or SMF which seems to be
  the two big webfora players at the moment?

  Regards,

--
Henk van Lingen, Systems & Network Administrator              (o-      -+
Dept. of Computer Science, Utrecht University.                /\        |