[Centos] bind and 3.4

Lance Davis lance at uklinux.net
Wed Jan 12 18:12:23 UTC 2005

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005, Michael Jennings wrote:

> On Wednesday, 12 January 2005, at 17:19:03 (+0000),
> Lance Davis wrote:
>
> > I agree totally - but disagree that an 'upgrade' should trash files
> > that you have edited, and remove your configuration just because you
> > have something installed that you shouldnt.
>
> Nobody's files got "trashed."  They were renamed for backup purposes.
>
> Think about it:  If you're running a cache-only nameserver, there's
> nothing you could or should reasonably do to named.conf or any of the
> /var/named/* files.  RedHat wants to make sure that the old-and-busted
> cache data is replaced by the new-hotness cache data, so they backup
> your old stuff and install their new stuff.  This is a perfectly sane,
> reasonable, and expected course of action.

Yes - but the people who have edited the files are not running cache-only
nameservers - they have mistakenly got that rpm installed and then edited
their stuff.

If they were running cache-only nameservers then there would not be a
problem.

Lance

--
uklinux.net -
The ISP of choice for the discerning Linux user.