[Centos] .c0 RPM's

Sat Jan 22 13:50:31 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 07:34 -0600, randy hoffman wrote:
> Probably missing something obvious here, but what determines when an
> RPM is built with a .c0 extension vs. not?  Seems to be mostly on
> kernel RPM's.

.c0 was the extension for the early kernels ... we don't use it anymore.

Basically, if we need to modify the RH Source RPM, we want everyone to
know it is modified by the CentOS team.

Exactly how to handle that is being looked at right now ... currently,
we use:

xxxx.c2.0.src.rpm for CentOS-2
xxxx.centos3.0.src.rpm for CentOS-3
xxxx.centos4.0.src.rpm for CentOS-4

we might be moving to c3.0 and c4.0 for CentOS-3 and CentOS-4

The xxxx is the original package name and versioning ...

The centos3.0 (or c3.0 if we shift) would be the first release of a
modified package by centos-3.x (sometimes the .0 is left off for the
first change, so it would be just .centos3.src.rpm) ... if we need to
make centos specific changes again to the rpm ... it would
be .centos3.1.src.rpm, the next one would be .centos3.2.src.rpm etc.

Specifically for the kernel, we change the kernel SRPM, but we stopped
adding the .c0 because it had an impact on compatibility for 3rd party
modules and applications that required the kernel name to be exactly
like the RHEL kernel (GFS is an example of an application that requires
this).

--
Johnny Hughes
<http://www.HughesJR.com/>