[Centos] The new CentOS3.4 version

donavan nelson donavan at 4wx.net
Tue Jan 25 03:20:16 UTC 2005

C.M. Connelly wrote:
> "JP" == Joe Polk <listuser at javelinux.com>
> "dn" == donavan nelson <donavan at 4wx.net>
>
>     JP> I'm still confused. How do I move from 3.3
>     JP> to 3.4? I've seen one post that says in 3-4 days it will
>     JP> happen with a normal update? So 'yum update' is all I do?
>     JP> This sounds incredibly simple...so it can't be right! :)
>
>     dn> If you choose NOT to follow the steps from the release
>     dn> notes (read them all).
>     dn> http://www.centos.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=34
>     dn> you will have to run yum update twice.  Once to upgrade to
>     dn> CentOS 3.4 yum.conf and once to update to the new
>     dn> packages.
>
> Hmm.  Did the automatic process actually work for anyone?
>
> At some point my CentOS mirror was rewritten such that the 3.3/os
> directory vanished, which broke upgrades/updates completely.  By
> commenting out the [base] section in a yum.conf file I could get
> updates back, but still no easy upgrade path.
>
> By following the instructions in the article mentioned I could
> upgrade to 3.4, but no magic upgrade path has happened yet.

The automatic update from 3.3 to 3.4 is on hold.  Pending resolution of
some problem with named (not the caching-nameserver non problem).

What mirror are you using?

Sounds like the mirror is broken.  You can always verify the structure
of the main centos mirror pool by browsing to http://mirror.centos.org .

.dn