[Centos] Changing booted Kernel with grub

Benjamin J. Weiss benjamin at birdvet.org
Tue Jan 25 14:33:51 UTC 2005

donavan nelson wrote:

> Benjamin J. Weiss wrote:
>
>> I always keep both the SMP and non-SMP kernel because sometimes the
>> smp kernel doesn't work.  Let's face it, SMP is still something that
>> isn't rock-solid in linux.
>

> Your experiences differ greatly from mine.  What are you doing that
> can be directly attributed directly to SMP in the kernel?
>
> Thanks,

A few kernel versions back I was trying to capture video from my MiniDV
camcorder and then edit the video.  When I tried it in SMP, the system
would either hang, kernel panic, or reboot.  None of those things
happened with the uni-processor kernel.  I'm running a P4 3GHz with
HyperThreading.

I haven't had time to mess with the video editing for the last six
months, so thing might have been fixed.  But my last experience with the
SMP kernels was less than stellar.

Ben