[Centos] centos4/rhes4 - mysql4?

Simon Garner sgarner at expio.co.nz
Wed Jan 26 03:23:36 UTC 2005

On 26/01/2005 3:43 p.m., Paul wrote:

> I'm not sure about that if your linking to the client libraries since
> the 4.0 ones are now GPL instead of LGPL.  If it's an in-house created
> software then yeah it probably does not really matter.  If on the other
> hand if it's a non-GPL licensed app you are distributing that is linked
> against the MySQL client libraries then you have an issue such as with
> PHP.

That's no longer true... as I understand it the FLOSS Exception in the
MySQL license mitigates this, as long as your software is released under
one of the specified open source licenses.
http://www.mysql.com/company/legal/licensing/foss-exception.html

In any case PHP is not GPL but its own PHP License, and MySQL has a
specific exception in their license for PHP. Which is why Fedora are now
including MySQL 4.1 and PHP 5 in FC3.

-Simon