[Centos] SuperServer 6024H-82R and Centos 3.3

Fri Jan 7 18:50:57 UTC 2005
Ryan Lane <ryanlane at gmail.com>

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 14:08:53 -0400, Joe Polk <listuser at javelinux.com> wrote:
> I know this is a long shot, but does anyone have any familiarity with this
> server? It uses the Super X6DH8-G2 motherboard. Currently, we've added an
> Adaptec 2120S Ultra320 RAID PCI Controller Card to get RAID 5 capability. The
> installation bombs and from what I can tell it looks like we're getting SCSI
> resets or the controller is going offline maybe. Any ideas would be greatly
> appreciated.

I've had some very odd Adaptec SCSI problems in the past (that sound
very similar to what you are describing).  Not sure if this is related
or not, because it's a different card.  The solution to my problem was
to run an SMP kernel, even though I didn't have any SMP machine.
Something with the uniprocessor kernel caused problems very similar to
what you are describing.

And my problem was not just with CentOS or RedHat....it was the same
with all linux distros (kernels 2.4 and 2.6).

This problem sucks because almost all installers that I know of use a
uniprocesser kernel.  Depending on how bad you want it, you could
create a custom installer that uses an SMP kernel.  That's what I had
to do.

-Ryan