[Centos] NNTP versus web forums

Sun Jan 9 03:35:20 UTC 2005
donavan nelson <donavan at 4wx.net>

Avtar Gill wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 15:53:37 -0500, Jim Zajkowski <jim at jimz.net> wrote:
>
>>I see that a number of questions are being answered on the new web
>>forum that is now part of the centos site.  And the mailing lists  So
>>now there are two places to search, both the forum and the mailing list
>>archives.
>>
>>This is just doubles the work required to follow along or find a
>>solution.

Avtar I know you didn't write this.  But when the mailing lists are
accessible via the CentOS website (a work in progress) the search
function will then find answers in both the mailing lists and forums.
This feature is not yet available though...  We thought it was more
important to get CentOS a face (www.centos.org) than have every possible
bell and whistle implemented at launch.

Website complaints bring them to me.

> I am new to Centos so correct me if I'm wrong but I'm assuming that
> developers and end users were initially corresponding with each other
> via mailing lists.  In my opinion, redirecting some future discussions

In many cases it's what you prefer (the format).  I prefer forums for a
historical perspective.  IRC for realtime discussion and mailing lists
for conveying information.  Too many people use mailing lists in place
of realtime discussion.  See today's "Where is ethereal" for a perfect
example.  Or this thread for that matter.

> to the web forums while leaving others on the mailing lists seems
> counter productive.
>
> I'm not familiar with the CMS software that is being used at
> centos.org but is there any mailing list <-> web forum software
> available for it?

The cms being used on www.centos.org is xoops.  The next version of the
forums software _should_ include mailing list <=-=> forum features.  I'm
making no promises my self as I'm a developer of neither (xoops or the
forums).

.dn
High Performance SpamCan at 0x45root at gmail.com

Email sent to the gmail address may or may not be seen in a timely fashion.