[Centos] OT -- Inexpensive CentOS dedicated servers?

Mon Jan 10 18:05:05 UTC 2005
Jason Dixon <jason at dixongroup.net>

On Jan 10, 2005, at 11:18 AM, Ryan Lane wrote:

> I am looking to get some input regarding inexpensive dedicated servers
> -- preferably with a hosting company the offers CentOS as an OS
> option.  Does anybody have any input or recommendations?  I'd really
> like to support a company that uses CentOS.  And there are _so many
> options out there, is kind of overwhelming.

I'm curious as to why you're not supporting a business running RHEL
instead.  Without RHEL, there would be no <insert_RHEL_clone_here>
distribution.  Granted, the CentOS is a wonderful project, and I
continue using and supporting (see below) as long as it's useful to me,
but if you're going to support something with _money_, why not put it
where it will actually benefit the CentOS developers and community?

Buying webspace from a company using CentOS supports nobody but the
company hosting your account.  They paid no funds to further the
development of CentOS;  Red Hat  and its customers do.  By spending
your money on a company that uses RHEL, you're helping to ensure that
RHEL is successful.  So long as RHEL is successful (barring any changes
in policy from Red Hat), CentOS can continue to derive their releases
from RHEL.

That said, if you really want to support CentOS, there is a donation
form on the Caosity site
(http://www.caosity.org/contributing/donations), which sponsors the
CentOS project.  Other non-monetary ways of supporting CentOS are:

- helping others in the mailing list and web forums
- documentation (FAQ)
- bug reports to Red Hat (which benefit us all)

Thanks,

--
Jason Dixon
DixonGroup Consulting