[Centos] centos4/rhes4 - mysql4?

Fri Jan 21 22:55:14 UTC 2005
Troy Engel <tengel at fluid.com>

Simon Garner wrote:

> I simply upgraded MySQL using the 4.1.x RPMs from mysql.com, haven't
> seen any problems (with CentOS-3).

The issue really isn't of technical problems per se, more logistical.
Many other RPMS are linked to the 3.x libs (it's been awhile since I
looked, but think PHP mysql for instance). So depending on what you have
installed and need, you may have to have the 3.x lib RPMs in place, or
start recompiling more and more until you get a "clean" 4.x linking.

What I could see as a solution is a compat-* or mysql3-* type of thing,
just like db3, db4, etc. This would seem pretty clean at first thought.

> hashing algorithm. If you use an old format mysql privileges database or
> run mysqld with --old-passwords (add old-passwords to the [mysqld]
> section of /etc/my.cnf) there is no problem.
>
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Password_hashing.html

Thanks! Good to know, tucking this tidbit away in the brain. :)

-te

--
Troy Engel | Systems Engineer
Fluid, Inc | http://www.fluid.com