[Centos] Upgrading from 3.4 to 4.0 beta X

Sat Jan 22 10:27:59 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 04:13 -0600, Johnny Hughes wrote:

> Although upgrades are supported by the Red Hat Enterprise Linux family
> on x86 processors, you are more likely to have a consistent experience
> by backing up your data and then installing this release of Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux 3.93 over your previous Red Hat Enterprise Linux
> installation.

Substitute CentOS-4Beta and CentOS-3.x and I agree with that statement.

> However, before you chose to upgrade your system, there are a few things
> you should keep in mind:
>
>       * Individual package configuration files may or may not work after
>         performing an upgrade due to changes in various configuration
>         file formats or layouts.
>
>       * If you have one of Red Hat's layered products (such as the
>         Cluster Suite) installed, it may need to be manually upgraded
>         after the Red Hat Enterprise Linux upgrade has been completed.
>
>       * Third party or ISV applications may not work correctly following
>         the upgrade.

I agree with that too ... it applies to CentOS upgrades to CentOS-4.0

> Caution
>
> As software evolves, configuration
> file formats can change. It is very
> important to carefully compare your
> original configuration files to the
> new files before integrating your
> changes.
>
> Note
>
> It is always a good idea to back up
> any data that you have on your
> systems. For example, if you are
> upgrading or creating a dual-boot
> system, you should back up any data
> you wish to keep on your hard drive
> (s). Mistakes do happen and can
> result in the loss of all of your
> data.
>
> If you still choose to perform a traditional upgrade, type the following
> command at the installation boot prompt:
>
> linux upgradeany

I, like redhat, also think that backing up your data and doing a
reinstall and then moving your data over is the best and most reliable
solution.

--
Johnny Hughes
<http://www.HughesJR.com/>