[CentOS] Re: boot failure after install -- my bootloader beat up your honor student

Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org>

thebs413 at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 1 15:08:55 UTC 2005

From: Peter Farrow <peter at farrows.org>
> In one sentence,  grub is poorly documented, over complicated pants, and
> lilo ROCKS...

At the risk of offending even more people by suggesting a "middle
ground" where _each_ might actually be applicable more than the other
(gasp!  not again!):

- GRUB is an intelligent boot-loader that is more "dynamic" because it
inspects the disk at boot-time, but that requires it have drivers for
the disk label (partition table format), slices (filesystems), etc... as
appropriate, including introducing geometry issues if GRUB is booting
multiple installs, OSes, etc... if the other installs don't agree with GRUB
on geometry.

- LILO is a dumb, "boot this sector offset" boot-loader, but that means
it really doesn't care much for the underlying disk label, slices, geometry,
etc... other than some basic disk label editing/modification capabilities
(although that does introduce some disk label, slice, geometry, etc...
considerations if they are used).

Each has own strengths and weaknesses, and should be used accordingly.

(BS ducks and awaits his fate in the fallout ;-)

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org