[CentOS] Re: Hot swap CPU

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Sat Jul 2 17:16:37 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-02 at 12:29 -0400, Lamar Owen wrote:
> The specs: USIIi 248MHz, 384MB RAM, 2x4.2GB UW SCSI drives).

And it should be noted these are II"i" processors/interconnects.
Not nearly as capable in the interconnect-I/O as a true II (let alone
III/IV).

> Now, if you're going to compare the E4500 to Intel hardware, you need to look
> at high-end Proliants and PowerEdges of that time period, not modern Dell
> PowerEdges.  Hmmm, there weren't any comparable Intel servers in that time
> period (with the exception of Sequent's Dynix stuff that ran dozens of 66Hz
> 486's and cost a mint).
> And when you (we) are donated 30 Ultra 30 workstations, you (we) use them.

I still take in 4+ way UltraSPARC II systems when I'm at companies.
They are many tasks where their distributed interconnects are very
useful.

Bryan J. Smith                                     b.j.smith at ieee.org
It is mathematically impossible for someone who makes more than you
to be anything but richer than you.  Any tax rate that penalizes them
will also penalize you similarly (to those below you, and then below
them).  Linear algebra, let alone differential calculus or even ele-
mentary concepts of limits, is mutually exclusive with US journalism.
So forget even attempting to explain how tax cuts work.  ;->