[CentOS] Re: Hot swap CPU

Sun Jul 3 12:19:22 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-07-03 at 07:25 -0400, Chris Mauritz wrote:
> Johnny Hughes wrote:

> >Believe it or not ... there is a plan for a future SPARC distro for
> >CentOS.  It is only in the planning stages now :)
> >
> >There is already an beta 4.1 release for the ALPHA processor.
> >

> Why?  Are there THAT many of these boxes laying around to overcome the
> PITA factor of generating a new release?

There are many sparc boxes in the world (and alpha too). CentOS is
dedicated to being the best Enterprise Distro out there.

We are not satisfied just to be the best rebuild of upstream software
for i386 and x86_64, and to provide rapid updates to those products ...
Though CentOS does that better than anyone else offering it for free (in
my opinion).

Since we are not about making money, we will try to provide CentOS for
platforms that the upstream provider might not care to provide, being
that people might not pay $2500/server for it on that platform.

> Just curious.  S390 CentOS coming soon too?  :-P
>
> Cheers,

s390 for CentOS-4.1beta is building right now :) (thanks Pasi)

there is already an s390 and s390x for CentOS-3.