[CentOS] Re: What do you think about this motherboard?

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Tue Jul 5 07:27:26 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 15:19 +0800, Feizhou wrote:
> er...I have this on a PIII box? hardly socket 7.

I said the "mVP3" is Socket-7, _not_ the "694x."
Please re-read ...

  "In all fairness to ViA, the mVP3 is:"
                               ^^^^
  "1)  A really _old_ Socket-7 chipset, and
   2)  _Never_ designed for servers"

> Please tell that to Tyan. It really affects their image as a
> server/workstation/highend motherboard manufacturer.

Actually, their 694x was used in a Socket-370 mainboard that was sold
by several tier-1 OEMs, including Micron, but _only_ for _desktops_.
I know, we had several, and they were _clearly_ desktop boards, costing
under $100.

But still, even in the case of the 694x we're talking a chipset that is
_over_ 5 years old now.  ;->

> How I wish my colleagues will drop the Intel is stable, AMD is burning
> hot rubbish and for once get an/some AMD box(es) without VIA motherboards.

Agreed.

And truth be known, _all_ Intel 7200/7500 series products are
ServerWorks licenses, not Intel designs.  Intel ran into a lot of
issues with their early ICH designs, including the ATA just like ViA.

I avoid SiS and ViA for servers.

Bryan J. Smith                                     b.j.smith at ieee.org
It is mathematically impossible for someone who makes more than you
to be anything but richer than you.  Any tax rate that penalizes them
will also penalize you similarly (to those below you, and then below
them).  Linear algebra, let alone differential calculus or even ele-
mentary concepts of limits, is mutually exclusive with US journalism.
So forget even attempting to explain how tax cuts work.  ;->