[CentOS] CentOS 4.1 Apache

alex at milivojevic.org alex at milivojevic.org
Wed Jul 6 20:20:37 UTC 2005

Quoting Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu <m3freak at rogers.com>:

> On Mon, 2005-04-07 at 00:10 -0500, Mike Kercher wrote:
>> To my knowledge, you need a separate IP address for each https vhost, else
>> the default ssl cert is used.
>
> This is true, but you can use a wildcard certificate and deploy the same
> cert across many sub-domains.

Another option is to use subjectAltName to name all the virtual hosts.

This (and wildcard certificates) are easy workarounds in some cases.  For
example, if you have only handfull of virtual hosts on the single server *and*
you are liable for all of them.  Not really a solution for service providers
(service provider is not liable for individual virtual hosts that he is
hosting, plus clients would probably want to use their own certificates).  If
you are service provider and simply host other people's web sites, separate IP
address for each virtual host is the only option.