[CentOS] Netware server emulation on Linux

Paul subsolar at subsolar.com
Thu Jul 7 01:08:44 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 22:16 +0100, Nigel kendrick wrote:
> search turns up two netware emulation packages for Linux - lwared and
> mars_nwe - so my question is this: has anyone around these here parts used
> any or both of these apps with CentOS 3 or 4 and if so can I have any useful
> insight? I suppose the ultimate test would be to try them both but a head
> start would be aprpeciated.

I have used mars_nwe under Whitebox 3 (using the kernel-unsuppoted
package) ... it works, but is not maintained, requires IPX (not
supported under CentOS 4 without custom kernel) and the DOS NW admin
tools.  If you have a NW 3.12 server you should have the DOS management
tools to get it working.

It's not terribly hard to get working with plenty of comments in the
config file.  We were going to use it to replace a DOS networking
solution we were using after SAMBA and MS-CLIENT had stability problems
but ended up scrapping both and keeping with what we were using (better
the devil you know).

Regards,
Paul