[CentOS] ftp daemon problem

Barry Brimer barry.brimer at bigfoot.com
Thu Jul 7 05:38:05 UTC 2005

Quoting Jeff Lasman <blists at nobaloney.net>:

> New install of CentOS 4.1; our first try at the 4.x.
>
> On previous 3.x installs we've used proftpd.
>
> On this one we're using (trying to use is a better statement of what
> we're going through) the default daemon, /usr/sbin/vsftpd.
>
> But we don't get anywhere.

Is there any NAT involved on the client or server end?  If so, are you using
ip_nat_ftp and ip_conntrack_ftp?

> <snip>
> ftp> passiv
> Passive mode off.
> ftp> put ~/xorg.conf.work
> 200 PORT command successful. Consider using PASV.
> 553 Could not create file.
> </snip>
>
> and
>
> <snip>
> ftp> pass
> Passive mode on.
> ftp> put ~/xorg.conf.work
> 227 Entering Passive Mode (65,58,240,217,174,30)
> ftp: connect: Connection timed out
> </snip>
>
> When we turn off our firewall (which allows passive under CentOS 3 on a
> 2.4 kernel) we don't get the connection timeout on passive transfers,
> but we still get the 533.
>
> Any ideas where we should go from here?

Long shot.  Does your FTP server chroot your users?  If so, the remote end may
not be able to handle /home/jlasman/<filename> because it would already see
/home/jlasman as / and therefore would require a home and home/jlasman to be
able to place the file where you have indicated.

Is there any difference trying to ftp to localhost or a network interface?

Best of luck!

Barry