[CentOS] Backup Server with rsync methods

scott

scott.list at mlec.net
Thu Jul 7 16:56:32 UTC 2005

Hi guys:

I'm about to migrate a sever to a managed server facility.  I've alwau=ys
used tape to backup my server, now that's not an option.  I've read abut
using rsync to do backups and have several scripts to do same.  I believe
rsync is a good solution.

I am missing some important nuiances though...  I would like to have
essentially a "mirror" server at my facility ( call it "master") that I can
backup to, and from, completely from the other server (call it "hosted").

Obviously I have to have at least different IP addresses on "master" and
"hosted", but other than that, I'd like them to be mirrors of each other.  I
would like to do all my configs, setup, etc. at my leisure on "master",
where I have hands on control, then when ready, have "hosted" setup with a
basic Centos server install, then configure it to rsync to my "master" and
update the entire thing (updates and all) to my "master".

1. Which files tdo I need to exclude to avoid IP address and hostname
changes?

2. What caveats do I need to be aware of?  Are there other files such as
'live" libraries that I cannot sync to?

3. The "master" server at my facility and their server may have different
hard drive architecture (i.e. IDS and SCSI drives, different processor,
etc.).  As long as I use a generic Kernel (i.e. stock) that supposts the
hardware on both, this shoudl not be a problem, right?

4. Am I missing something, is there a better way?

Thanks,
Scott