[CentOS] Kickstart-based Install, editing comps.xml, hdlist/hdlist2

dan.trainor dan.trainor at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 18:37:11 UTC 2005

alex at milivojevic.org wrote:
> Quoting "dan.trainor" <dan.trainor at gmail.com>:
>
>> Hey there, Johnny -
>>
>> I've been playing around for the past few days with the info that you
>> have provided, and it has been a great help.  I'd like to thank you for
>> that.
>>
>> However, I'm still just a bit confused.
>>
>> My problem is, that I don't need to create a whole new distribution, but
>> rather, just remaster the data on an ISO that I've made of all the
>> packages I'll be needing, including editing comps.xml and generating
>> base/hdlist{2} files from the editing.  As far as I can gather, this is
>> a lot to ask.
>>
>> Would you mind me asking where you gathered the information to create
>> this script, or like everyone else, did you hear from a friend of a
>> friend who's cousin found a note written by someone who used to work for
>> RedHat that had a friend that made these distributions?  That's the
>> story I hear every single time.
>>
>> For something so critical, I don't know why this process is so cryptic.
>> Anaconda and kickstart installations have tremendous power, and it's
>> all going to waste becase only a small handfull of people can actually
>> pull it off.
>

> While Fedora's Wiki could have more usefull documentation, there are
> some very
> usefull links:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/AnancondaUsefulLinks
>
> For example, the very first link is to an article from Linux Journal.
> It deals
> with Red Hat 8.0, but most of it is still applicable to Fedora Core
> and/or Red
> Hat Enterprise Linux.
>
> So, yeah, the information is scattered all around and scarce, but with
> more or
> less research, most of it is out there somewhere ;-)

Hey there, Alex -

I've gotten a bit farther since we had last talked.  However, I'm
getting stuck now during the Anaconda install.  If you (or anyone else
out there) wouldn't mind taking a moment to tell me what I'm doing
wrong, I'd greatly appreciate it.  Here's some info to help the situation:

comps.xml:
http://pastebin.com/309018

Anaconda VC1:
http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/4018/screenshot5sd.png

Anaconda VC3:
http://img298.imageshack.us/img298/816/screenshot10dx.png

comps.xml is comprised of a slimming down of the @base and @core groups,
in addition to adding a few RPMs that I had made.  I created what I
think was all needed by using the following commands:

genhdlist --withnumbers --productpath=CentOS /tmp/centos-1/

pkgorder /tmp/centos-1 i386 >/tmp/pkgorder.txt

genhdlist --withnumbers --productpath=CentOS
--fileorder=/tmp/pkgorder.txt /tmp/centos-1

buildinstall --comp dist-4.0 --pkgorder /tmp/pkgorder.txt --release
"CentOS-4 i386" --product "CentOS-4 i386" --version 4 `pwd`

That's all I've got for now.  Please let me know if I can provide some
more information.

Thanks!
-dant