[CentOS] Re: raid5 crash

Farkas Levente lfarkas at bppiac.hu
Sat Jul 9 21:40:07 UTC 2005

Bryan J. Smith wrote:
>>easier,
>

> Actually, I very much disagree with that assertion.  What's easier
> than leaving everything -- build to failover to rebuild than to the
> on-board, intelligent ASIC?  GPL drivers in the stock kernel since
> 2.2.15 (yes, that's _2.2_).
>
> I'm not making this up, I have _numerous_ 3Ware Escalade 7000 series
> cards that I have been deployed since Red Hat Linux 6.x / kernel 2.2.x
> and have been upgraded through kernel 2.6 and I have changed _zilch_
> except for maybe 1-2 firmware upgrades.  Dealing with LVM and MD changes
> over the same period have been far more difficult.

what happends if the 3ware card get wrong? do you always have a backup
raid controller (with the same type)? with software raid you can plug it
to any kind of controller and save your data!

>>safer.
>

> Again, totally disagree with that assertion.  I'd rather leave RAID
> to a fairly static and proven firmware and driver in an intelligent,
> massively queuing design, which makes the OS/software merely a dumb
> block device that is hard to "screw up."  ;->
>
> Not to trample on your issues and kick you when you are down, but didn't
> you just have a problem?  ;->
>
> The _only_ RAID-5 issue I have _ever_ had with 3Ware was when they
> added it to the Escalade 6000 series.  3Ware quickly realized there
> was a design consideration in the 6000 that took issue with the RAID-5
> algorithm, which prompted the 7000 series design (which is also used in
> the 8000 and 9000 too).

at the first place we start to use 3ware's raid5 when it's crashes at
the first week and we got a mail from 3ware that it's a known issue with
the current firmware. that was enough!

>>we always use the latest:-)
>

> Just wondering why you're buying 3Ware cards when you're not using the
> hardware ASIC at all.

how you can plug 1.5TB into machine? and the only good kernel support is
for 3ware (at least 2-3 years ago). that simple.