[CentOS] Problem opening CD/DVD Drive door

Dick Roth raroth7 at comcast.net
Sun Jul 10 15:27:21 UTC 2005

Jim Perrin wrote:

{snip}

> It sounds like the cd is still mounted by your user. unmount the cd,
> then you should be able to take it out. If you're using gnome/KDE you
> should have a CD icon. Right click and choose unmount/eject, or from
> the command line 'umount /path/to/cdrom'. The path to your cdrom will
> most likely be /media/cdrecorder but it varies.
>

> --
> Jim Perrin

Jim, thanks for your input.  I had done each and every one of your
suggestions.  After right-clicking on the CD icon (gnome) and clicking
on "Eject", I would get an error message telling me that it couldn't
perform the operation.  Checking mounted volumes showed no CD mounted.
Running top didn't raise any flags on application helpers that might
have maintained ownership or had hooks into a process that would prevent
operation on the drive.

Here is fstab:

# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
LABEL=/home             /home                   ext3    defaults        1 2
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
LABEL=/tmp              /tmp                    ext3    defaults        1 2
LABEL=/var1             /var                    ext3    defaults        1 2
LABEL=SWAP-hda7         swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/hdd                /media/cdrom            auto
pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/hdc                /media/cdrecorder       auto
pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/fd0                /media/floppy           auto
pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

And here is mount:

[dick at raroth ~]$ mount
/dev/hda2 on / type ext3 (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
/dev/hda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/hda3 on /home type ext3 (rw)
/dev/hda6 on /tmp type ext3 (rw)
/dev/hda5 on /var type ext3 (rw)
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
sunrpc on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)

Hopefully, you can see something that I can't that may help resolve this.

Thanks again,
Dick

--
Pithy saying goes here:  (future).