[CentOS] Re: raid5 crash

John Hinton webmaster at ew3d.com
Mon Jul 11 05:05:01 UTC 2005

Bryan J. Smith wrote:

>On Sun, 2005-07-10 at 16:46 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>

>>More likely it is a sign of age and unwillingness to replace equipment
>>before it's useful life is over.
>>

>Not true.  I've been in many departments that get "hand me downs."  The
>difference is when a department/organization cares about consistency
>and/or configuration management and a department/organization that does
>not care about consistency and/or configuration management.
>
>Simple rule I use, _always_ request at least 2 of the same "hand me
>down" systems.  More often than not, a department/organization is
>unwisely distributing them one-to-a-customer, which is just ludicrous.
>I'd rather have 2 slower systems than 1 faster.

Meanwhile... back to the subject. And I must apologize as I've not been
following this thread, but did you use LVM for the partitioning scheme?
I had big issues with LVM on a Compaq raid. I rarely ever use such
things, but this was just a simple 'test' install and it was good to
have been just a 'test' as the LVM 'test' failed. Disk druid fixed the
issue. I did the install twice with LVM, both times failed (I don't
remember at what point but it seems to not have made it to boot). Then
did disk druid... and it's been fine on several like machines. So, I'm
left thinking that at least some raid drivers/hardware might have issues
with LVM.

John Hinton