[CentOS] Re: centos] RPM Autorollback

James Olin Oden james.oden at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 20:36:04 UTC 2005

On 7/13/05, R P Herrold <herrold at owlriver.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005, Maciej ¯enczykowski wrote:
>
> > any idea if (when?) a new version of those RPMs with rollback included will
> > become available for CentOS 4?
>
> it scarcely matters -- rpm rollback is a essentially
> unattainable mirage, due to the unbounded nature of %pre and
> %post actions possible.

I wouldn't go that far (though obviously I understand the issues from
the previous email).   My goal with autorollback and a few patchs to
the regular rollback code was to make it possible to rollback
(automatically) a failed upgrade.  That said scriptlets may in some
cases need changing to work properly/intuitavily in a
rollback transaction.

For the most part, because RedHat scriptlets are typically drop dead
simple I do see any issues with their packages in a rollback.   The
way RedHat does scriptlets is really the best way to do them (that is
as little as necessary), but sometimes you get a package from some
other source (or maybe your own...we all have our reasons) that is a
bit more complex.  It is these complex scriptlets that need to take
the possibility of a rollback into account.

So in short, I don't think rollback feature is that useless, but I
really don't think it or the package universe it supports is
completely there yet either.

Cheers...james