[CentOS] Re: CentOS 4 post installation of all packages

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 18:43:19 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-15 at 12:54, Ugo Bellavance wrote:

> > I have installed CentOS 4 on a server in a hosting company and I realise
> > that not all packages have been installed.
> > I would like to install all packages exactly like it is when we click on
> > 'install everything' from the CentOS 4 installation.
> > Is there a way of doing so with 'yum install' something ? My goal is to
> > have the exact replicate as the default CentOS 4 'install everything'
> > option.
> > I am in fear that there would be other packages installed than only the
> > ones from the default CentOS install by typing 'yum install *' if this
> > is possible.

> I personnaly wonder why one would want to have all packages installed on
> a remote server.  You really need all the X applications?

I agree with this.  I'll do an 'everything' install on a local box just
in case I might want something unusual but on a remote server it ends
up causing more trouble than it is worth.  Remember that you'll want
to use 'yum update' frequently to keep up with security and bugfix
updates and every additional installed package has a chance of adding
to the time it takes to update and the odds that something will go
wrong.  You might want X installed so you can remotely run the GUI
versions of system-config-... but it would be unusual to need the
full gnome/kde desktops.  Can you start with a 'server' install and
add packages as you know you need them?

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com