[CentOS] Re: CentOS 4 post installation of all packages

dan1 dan1 at edenpics.com
Fri Jul 15 21:07:15 UTC 2005

>Hi Daniel,
>
>I think Phil has already identified a few issues with my "simple" solution.
>The advantage of running rpm rather than yum is that you will be taking the
>data from the CD/DVD rather than off the mirrors, thus not using your or
>the mirrors bandwidth.  Of course you could configure a local repo in yum
>to do exactly the same thing for the base install and then just get the
>updates from the mirrors.
>
>Also, I would second (or third, I've lost count) the question as to why you
>need to all packages installed.  Using Yum would resolve dependancy
>problems automatically, also going back to my original post rpm usually
>tells you was is missing and suggest what needs to be installed.
>
>See ya
>
>Lee

Hi all.

Thanks for all your explanations on how to try reaching this state of
everything installed.
There are some good ideas. I will see which one to take.
Maybe the best would just to do a complete reinstall to make sure all is
there like it should and nothing has mixed up as it seems not so easy and
reliable to accomplish this task.

For the curious, I definitely need some packages of X for running Java
servlets that uses it, some fonts packages, and quite a lot of things. I
highly prefer having it that way. You are all right that I could choose all
packages one after the other as soon as I need one. however sometimes I
don't know what package I should install to have this or that config file
and I wouldn't like to loose time due to that.
Also I'm happy with all of it installed, with a yum cron job that makes the
job of the updates very well...

Again thanks to all.

Regards,
Daniel