[CentOS] Re: How to query the package owning the file? (no packahe manger installed)

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Sat Jul 16 00:48:17 UTC 2005

Ugo Bellavance wrote:
> The question was "... whithout having a package manager installed (ie no
> rpm).

This is also answer to everybody else who was nitpicking...

I believe that OP ment a GUI front end when he said "no package
manager".  If he's running CentOS, then he has rpm installed, and most
of his system (if not everything) was installed by rpm.  I fail to
understand why so many people are trying to be smart, instead of being
helpfull.  Luckily, at least Jay (haven't checked entire thread, maybe
there were others) gave a helpfull answer (hint to the OP, "man rpm"
contains answer to your question, as well as many other usefull options
for rpm command).

You know, there's difference between "smart" and "smart ass".
Nitpicking will more often get you closer to later then the former ;-)