[CentOS] Re: CentOS on Compaq Proliant Rackmount Servers -- whoa!

Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org>

thebs413 at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 18 21:21:46 UTC 2005

From: Tony Wicks <tonyw at tonyw.com>
> I run Centos on Compaq dl380g1/2/3's and Dell servers. While the
> Compaqs are strong hardware they are old and frankly the performance
> compared to modern (cheap or otherwise) hardware is not really that
> impressive. A dual 1 gig P3 dl380 and ultra 3 scsi drives get significantly
> out performed by a generic celeron with software raid SATA drives.

Whoa!

Who said U160 SCSI was faster than SATA?  That's a common farce!
In fact, it's the whole reason why SAS (Serial Attached SCSI) is coming
about.  SAS can even use SATA drives.

I don't think that's is a good comparison at all.  You're changing too many
variables.  Especially when you're comparing ultra-high density SATA drives
to typical, lower-density U160 SCSI drives.  Latency might be better, but
throughout is clearly not.

It all depends on your application.

> I firmly believe the best value for money and performance is the Dell
> Poweredge 750 with hardware raid SATA drives. The PE 750 is cheap
> and installs out of the box (Centos 3 and 4), performes flawlessly and
> is extremely fast.

Depends on the app, but you might be correct for many applications.

And, just because I'm curious, "hardware RAID SATA" by what controller?

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org