[CentOS] Re: CentOS on Compaq Proliant Rackmount Servers

Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org> thebs413 at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 18 21:31:40 UTC 2005

From: Tony Wicks <tonyw at tonyw.com>
> Hmm, if you drop the "gold" support it drops to 1944USD. Still strange,
> we are used to paying more not less for hardware here in New Zealand.

I'm really hesitant to pay that much for a crippled Celeron with an old
i960 microcontroller for an SATA controller.

I'd much rather go with Monarch Computer and get something better for
the same price, especially in an Opteron 1xx that will eat the Celeron alive
(along with the greater choice in controllers).

Which brings us back to the "old" P3 DL3xx series.
I'd prefer to go that direction, with an added 64-bit @ 66MHz PCI
SATA controller, than pay for a P4-core Celeron.

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org